Research Site/Demonstration Number: Trial Code 1.8: Hydromulching for weed control
Start Date: 5 December 2019
For more information:
Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
07 5381 1322
0436 637 570
OUTLINE: This trial is investigating non-chemical options for weed control in pineapple fields.
The trial site (10 beds x 6 m) was left unsprayed with herbicide at planting. Alternative controls were applied in 2 bed x 2 m lengths creating 3 replicates of each treatment.
- Control – No herbicide
- Living mulch – Jap Millet
- Fine sugar cane mulch with polymer glue at 10%
- Coarse sugar cane mulch with polymer glue at 10%
- Coarse sugar cane mulch with polymer glue at 15%
- Herbicide with Stonewall (not randomised, grower practice for that block) directly adjacent to the trial site
The trial was planted on 5 December 2019 and received 14 mm of rainfall for December (6mm and 8mm).
On 22 January 2020, the image below was taken. The rainfall prior to the photo was recorded as:
- 16/01 – 30 mm
- 17/01 – 38 mm
- 18/01 – 38 mm
- 21/01 – 38 mm
Weed type and number will be measured in bed width x 1 m length rectangles in the middle of each treatment.
QUESTIONS / FEEDBACK:
How would you manage the living mulch in this trial?
If you have any questions or feedback place contact Rachel Abel, DAF on 0436 637 570 or email Rachel.Abel@daf.qld.gov.au