Research Site / Demonstration Number: SA03WB-05
Grower Collaborator: Amaryllys Farming
Location 5: Goomburrum Road, Goomburrum
Initiation Date: March 2019
OUTLINE: To introduce, develop and evaluate precision farming practices into pineapple production systems targeting improved fertiliser and pesticide efficiency and reducing off farm deposition.
- To improve the methodology for better application of foliar fertilisers and pesticide with a focus on early growth stages.
- To minimise fertiliser and pesticide input in early crop growth.
- To measure fertiliser and pesticide wastage and off farm losses comparing precision application against traditional application practices.
- To compare cost effectiveness of precision application of foliar fertiliser compared with traditional foliar fertiliser practices.
The trial site followed a previous crop of Smooth Cayenne, which was taken to ratoon and harvested in summer 2019 with major issues of nematode and symphylid.
The soil was prepared to standard industry conditions with good soil tilth, no crop residue and good soil moisture with a soil pH of 4.1.
Trial location Zahns Rd, Goomburrum
Application of post plant fertiliser and pesticide from 2 – 9 months of growth using droppers on boomspray.
Application of post plant fertiliser and pesticide from 2 – 9 months of growth using standard boomspray.
Boomspray to be modified with spray droppers
ASSESSMENT / EVALUATION METHOD AND DELIVERY SCHEDULE
- Spray output / unit area: 0 – 9 months
- Crop health assessment: 0 – 9 months
- Cost analysis: 12 months
Grower has been identified
Boomspray design completed
Parts and materials for boomspray modification ordered.
Parts and materials received
Construction has begun
Issues Encountered: Awaiting parts and materials for the boom spray modifications to be completed.
Other Notes: $5,000 in funding has been secured to fund the boomspray modifications through the Growcom Hort 360 program.