Research Site/Demonstration Number: SA01WB-02 and SA05WB-02
Grower Collaborator: Littabella Pines
Location 2: South Littabella Road, Yandaran
Start Date: April 2019
To evaluate the use of aerial imagery, topographic maps and/or in-field surveying to establish better layout of pineapple blocks incorporating contour drains and other erosion management practices to mitigate off-farm deposition in moderate to heavy soil types.
- To compare the different methodologies of implementing better farm layout practices using aerial imagery, topographic maps and/or in field surveying.
- To reduce off farm deposition of moderate to highly erosible soil types.
- To improve surface water flow and soil drainage reducing key pest issues such as Phytophthora root rot.
- To increase yield in plant and ratoon crops.
- To identify additional advantages to keeping soil in-field and positive effects on cost of production.
To evaluate the benefits of different erosion products and practices in-field and out-field to manage surface and subsurface off-farm deposition in low to medium textured soil types and slopes.
- To improve the methodologies of implementing better surface and sub-surface erosion practices.
- To evaluate different anti-erosion products and their impact on mitigating soil erosion.
- To identify additional advantages to maintaining soil in-field and positive effects on cost of production.
- To evaluate methodologies for capturing, managing and treating surface water to reduce the loss of soil, pesticides and nutrients.