Makes 2 cups. Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook: 25 mins.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 /2 pineapple, peeled and pureed
- 1 /2 pineapple, peeled and diced
- 5 long Thai chillies, finely sliced
- 100ml of kecap manis
- 200g brown sugar
- 40ml white wine vinegar
- 3tbsp lime juice
- 1tbsp fish sauce
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 stem of lemongrass
- To make the pineapple jam, place a medium-sized saucepan on the stove over a medium heat. Add the oil to the pot and sauté off the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger until the onion is translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and gently simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture has reached a jam-like consistency.
- Add the diced pineapple and cook for another 5 mins, while stirring the jam with the white end of the lemongrass stem.
Tip: Pairs perfectly with meats such as salmon and pork.